I can taste summer coming. Oh wait, what’s just this Cara Cara and Blood Orange Paloma!!
Winters here in Denver can seem like they just draaaaag on and on. We can have a gorgeous March week and then BAM dump over 2 FEET of snow in one weekend. It’s happened. It happened this year 🤣 In fact, the sweet team at Sunkist had the hardest time getting these oranges to me since no vehicle could drive through our neighborhood!
But as it always does, things work out! The oranges arrived, nice and COLD 🤩 and I was able to have my paloma 😉
The color of this drink is intoxicating on its own. Ok, that sounds ridiculous. BUT IT’S SERIOUSLY SO PRETTY. The deep color of the Blood orange juice and the light pink tint of the Cara Cara orange juice creates this bright pink drink that is perfect for a drink on the patio while watching the sunset after your kids have played outside all day. Too specific? It’s what I’m imagining our summer days to be like and I. CAN’T. WAIT!
So why should I make this fancy summer cocktail?
I love this cocktail for a couple of different reasons, but right at the top if of the list is how FRESH it is. This paloma has freshly squeezed juice from 3 fruits. You can just tell the difference when something is freshly made.
The juice from the Sunkist ® Cara Cara Orange provides a sweetness that is familiar with Naval oranges, but somehow EVEN more sweet. The flesh is a beautiful light pink that just brings a smile to your face 😁
A surprising fact to me is that Cara Cara Oranges have the MOST vitamin C out of the Sunkist varieties. You’ll get 100% of the recommended daily intake in just one Cara Cara orange 🍊
If you’ve never cut into a Sunkist® Blood Orange, you’re in for a treat! The flesh is a lovely deep red, almost purple in some spots, and has a hint of raspberry taste to it. The juice is the same deep berry color that just screams “Hello I’m sophisticated” and I’m here for that 😎
Again, Blood Oranges are loaded with vitamin C (and fiber, folate, and thiamin) so even though you’re getting tipsy, you’re also getting some vitamins in that body!!
Ok, I’m in! What do I need?
- Grab a bag of Sunkist Cara Cara oranges and Blood oranges from your local Safeway! The bags were easy to find in the citrus stand of the produce section.
- Make sure you have some good quality tequila on hand, a fresh lime, and ice!
- Your fanciest (and shiniest) glass. We're making our cocktail from scratch, it's time to dust those bad boys off and use them!
After adding all of the ingredients, I like to blend this mixture up for a few seconds so that your drink is VERY COLD without having any slush to it. No need for ice, just sip on it right away 😎
Cara Cara and Blood Orange Paloma
- 1 Sunkist Blood orange
- 1 Sunkist Cara Cara orange
- 1 lime
- ½ cup tequila
- Optional - ¼ cup simple syrup for a sweeter drink
- ½ cup ice
- Juice the Blood orange, Cara Cara orange, and lime and add to a blender cup.
- Add in the tequila, simple syrup (if using), and ice.
- Blend for 30 seconds, or until ice has completely incorporated into the drink.
- Pour into two glasses, cheers a friend, and enjoy!!