Mushrooms can either be luxurious or just a little icky. I've tried many methods and this is my favorite way to cook delicious sautéed mushrooms from even the cheapest option at the store.
Whether your diet consists of mainly vegetables or you just enjoy mushrooms on your ½ pound burger, you gotta know how to make restaurant worthy, delicious sautéed mushrooms at home. It couldn't be easier (or less expensive).
Tips for success
- Don't try to rush the process, you want your white button mushrooms to turn to a deep, warm brown color.
- The pan will look overcrowded - it's okay!! They will reduce in size as they cook down.
- A tip for most recipes with delicate ingredients - don't over salt. You can always add, but you can't take it away.
- Change out the type of mushrooms. I chose the cheapest mushroom available but this same method can be used on Bella mushrooms as well.
- Swap avocado oil for olive oil or butter or ghee. All will work perfectly.
How to store
Store these mushrooms in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
I'm in! What should I make next?
- Perfectly Baked Salmon makes a perfect match
- Or if you need another main dish option, we make this Hamburger Steak recipe at least once a month
- Potatoes round out our meals - try these Crispy Ranch Roasted Potatoes
Delicious Sautéed Mushrooms
- 1 pound white mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- pinch black pepper
- 1 small shallot, finely sliced
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes. The mushrooms will release liquid.
- Increase heat to high, and and cook stirring occasionally until all liquid has evaporated. This takes about 5-8 minutes.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil and reduce to medium, stir to coat the mushrooms in oil.
- Add in shallot, salt, and pepper and stir every minute until the mushrooms are dark brown - about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add more salt and pepper as desired. Enjoy!!