If you're looking for a side dish that is so cheap and easy that your college self would love, this easy yellow rice is what you need!
This easy yellow rice reminds me of college because WOW did Cody and I buy those little bags of turmeric rice every. single. week! Turns out it's incredibly easy to make homemade and now we only make this dish every other week 🤪
Tips for success -
- Some people have success with boiling rice the entire time, lid off. Not me. I like to bring to a boil, lower and completely cover for perfect rice every time. I will always recommend this approach.
- Don't be afraid to add more seasonings, this is just your base!
- Wash your rice 😄 This means to rinse the rice out until the water is clear (about 5 times for me)
Substitution Options -
- You can make this with brown rice. The cook time may have to be altered according to your package instructions.
- Omit the turmeric and make just plain, steamed rice. This is actually the same recipe for my steamed white rice, just less seasonings!
How to store -
I have a favorite storage container that I use weekly for my rice. Yes, really. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week.
I'm in! What should I make next?
- Smothered Pork Chops - always a favorite
- Slow Cooker Beef Roast
- Crispy Roasted Broccoli - to round it out 😁
Easy Yellow Rice (Turmeric Rice)
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon - Chicken Flavor
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 ½ cup jasmine rice
- In a medium sized saucepan, bring water, better than bouillon, olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic power, and turmeric to a boil.
- Pour in rice and stir, bring back to boil.
- Once boiling for a few seconds, stir once more, cover completely and turn heat down to the lowest setting.
- Let rice cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat and move pot to a cool burner.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff with a fork and serve!