Sometimes you want a cozy bowl of baked potato soup but not a gigantic pot. I get it. I totally get it.
Well not me, per say, because I can eat soup all day every day. But for the normal, not soupy, person 🤪
This small batch of baked potato soup will satisfy my craving of a steaming hot bowl of soup loaded with cheese and bacon, but can be finished in 3 days tops.
The recipe will yield 3-4 large bowls of soup, so if you want more than that you’ll need to double it! I know you won’t regret it if you do 🤩
A quick tip for you –
Make sure that when you are cooking down the potatoes (getting to fork tender), when you think they are cooked enough, go ahead and cook for another 5 minutes. You want a soft and creaaammmyy soup and do NOT want any half raw potatoes chunks in there.
This recipe is very forgiving. It’s not incredibly time consuming and uses very common ingredients that you would normally have in your home.
The next time a cool front comes through and you just want to relax with a bowl of heart warming soup – make this recipe!! You will be SO happy that you did.
Need a partner to go with this soup? Here’s what else you should make!
- Smothered Pork Chops
- Slow Cooker Beef Roast
- Slow Cooker Pork Roast
- Zoe’s Protein Plate Grilled Chicken (my favorite grilled chicken ever)
And as always, thank you for being here! Thanks for choosing my blog to help feed your beautiful family, I know there are so many others to choose from 💖
Small Batch Baked Potato Soup
- 2 slices bacon I prefer thin for this recipe
- 1/4 yellow onion diced small
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 2 medium sized russet potatoes diced in 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere’s
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Better Than Bouillon Chicken Flavor
- 1 cup whole milk + 1 teaspoon flour whisked together
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese + more for serving.
- Freshly ground black pepper for serving
- In large saucepan or Dutch Oven, fry bacon on medium-low and then let cool on a plate lined with paper towels.
- Remove most (but not all) of bacon grease in the pot.
- Add 1/4 onion to the pot with butter and let cook on medium-low for 5 minutes.
- Add in water, chicken bouillon, diced potatoes, and Tony Chachere’s and bring to boil (medium-high heat)
- Lower fire to medium and let cook down, partially covered for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are VERY fork tender (it's better to cook these for an extra 5 minutes than move on too soon)
- Lower fire to medium low and add in milk and flour mixture. Bring to simmer and then shut off fire.
- With an immersion blender, blend soup so that half of potatoes are blended. (It's totally fine if you don't have an immersion blender, just transfer a little at a time to a blender until half is blended)
- Stir in 1/2 cup cheddar cheese.
- Pour into bowls and top with more cheese, crumbled bacon pieces, and freshly ground black pepper. YUM!