Madeline’s Mac and Cheese is one of the only dishes that I KNOW Madeline will finish every time. It’s our favorite mac and cheese recipe and it’s made weekly in our house.
Let me back up, Madeline isn’t the PICKIEST child in the world. But compared to the shove-everything-in-my-mouth baby, she now has strong opinions on most of her dinners 🤣
She used to love avocado. Nope, not anymore. Or broccoli. Just occasionally now. She won’t eat any chicken but will chow down on shrimp or ground beef. Odd kid! 🤪
It’s been fun (but sometimes challenging) to see Madeline’s favorite foods change from week to week. But thankfully, this mac and cheese has stayed consistent, and I’m so thankful for that because wow it is EASY.
Ok, what do I need? –
- uncooked macaroni noodles
- unsalted butter
- whole milk
- sour cream
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder
- shredded cheddar cheese 🧀
You probably already have most of these ingredients in your house so give it and try and ditch the box 😜 And as always, if you make this recipe, I love nothing more than receiving food pics from my friends (you). You can send them over at my Instagram or Facebook pages!! Can’t wait to hear from you 💗
Madeline’s Mac and Cheese
- 2 cups uncooked macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil and boil noodles according to box instructions. I usually boil one minute LESS than box states.
- Drain noodles and keep in colander.
- In the same sauce pan, add the unsalted butter and flour and turn fire to medium-low, whisking every few seconds for 2-3 minutes or until the mixture turns golden.
- Add in the milk, whisking constantly and then add in the sour cream.
- Add in the salt, pepper, and garlic powder and continue to whisk until the mixture is fully incorporated.
- Let cook on medium-low heat until the mixture slightly thickens but does NOT boil – about 5 minutes.
- Add in the cheddar cheese and stir gently until cheese has completely melted.
- Add in the cooked macaroni noodles and stir to combine.
- Cover completely and let sit with the fire turned completely OFF for 5 minutes.
- Give it another stir and then enjoy!!