These cookies are from scratch. They are chewy in the middle and crispy on the edges and they are small enough to eat 4 in a sitting. These cookies are AMAZING!!
This recipe also makes 47 sooo make them for a party or just make a dozen and then freeze the rest for fresh cookies all month (or months!)
This recipe uses chocolate chunks chopped from a chocolate bar instead of chips, which is my preference in a chocolate chip cookie. They have a hint of salt from using a mix of salted and unsalted butter and they are rich in flavor from using dark brown sugar.
I may never try another chocolate chip cookie recipe again because although they are from scratch, they are easy enough to be worth a few extra minutes and WOW are they show-stopping.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) salted butter
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar (normal sugar, not powdered)
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda (not baking powder)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 semi sweet chocolate bar, chopped (photo below)
- In a small bowl, add both salted and unsalted butter and melt until a few pieces of butter remain solid, but most are melted. Let cool for at least a minute (**important)
- In a large mixing bowl, add in melted butters, brown sugar and granulated sugar and whisk for a minute until creamy (you can also use a mixer, but come on!! use those muscles!!)
- Add in the egg and whisk again until incorporated.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add flour, baking soda, and salt and stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
- Slowly mix in flour mixture with the butter/sugar mixture. I usually pour in about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Chop chocolate bar and then add in 3/4 of the chopped chocolate to the cookie dough. Gently mix to incorporate.
- Create ball of dough and then wrap in plastic wrap and chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours.
- Preheat oven to 350
- After dough has chilled, using a small cookie scoop, form individual cookies. I was able to make exactly 47 cookies. Top each cookie with remaining chopped chocolate, slightly adding pressure but keeping the circular shape of the dough.
- If baking fresh – Add cookie dough to a baking sheet, 2 inches apart and bake for 10-12 minutes watching closely in the last few minutes for the edges to look set. You want to remove these cookies when the middle still looks raw. Remove from oven and let sit on the baking sheet for another 5 minutes. Remove from baking sheet and transfer to cooling rack for another 5 minutes before enjoying!
- If freezing – add individual cookies to a plate and let place in freezer for an hour or 2 to set. Once frozen, transfer to a freezer safe ziplock or other storage option and bake within 6 weeks. To bake from frozen – add 1-2 minutes more than indicated above.
- I use this baking sheet. It is insulated and therefore PERFECT for cookies and other baked goods as the bottoms are less likely to burn. If using a thinner baking sheet, you may need to reduce the baking time. I highly encourage investing in this baking sheet, you will not regret it.
- I created smaller cookies with this recipe using this cookie scoop. You can make them as big or small as you’d like, but please remember that the cooking time is specific to this size of cookie.