It's Q week for my ABC Series over on instagram, and I was puzzled on what to make. But quesadillas!! 🧀
Quesadillas are easy to make at home, cheap, and simple to change up according to your preference.
I wanted to make a meatless quesadilla because 1) our grocery stores have been lacking meat lately and 2) it's the perfect time to save a little money wherever you can and meat is usually the most expensive part of a meal.
If you're new around here, you'll learn quickly that I love beans and I'll add them to as many recipes as I can. So it's no surprise that for my meat-free quesadilla, there's a lot of beans included!
I had a quesadilla very similar to this one years ago and it's been one of my all time favorite dishes I've ordered. No joke.
This recipe will make 4 quesadillas. Prep the beans and mushroom filling all together and then you'll just have to assemble and grill the quesadillas when you're craving one!
Black Bean and Mushroom Quesadillas with Avocado Cream Sauce
For the Quesadillas
- 1 can black beans (no salt added)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounce package baby bella mushrooms, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder (optional but amazing)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, divided into ½ tablespoon pieces
- 4 flour tortillas
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese (or cheese of choice)
- Drain and rinse can of beans and then slightly mash ⅓ of can to resemble very lumpy refried beans. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet on medium-low heat and add mushrooms
- Cook down mushrooms for 3-4 minutes. Add in salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and chipotle chile powder and cook for another 5-6 minutes.
- Add in beans and mix to combine.
- In a large skillet, add ½ tablespoon salted butter and let melt on medium-low heat.
- Once melted, add in a tortilla and then ½ cup bean and mushroom mixture and ¼ cup pepper jack cheese to one side of the tortilla.
- Increase fire to medium heat and let cook for 30 seconds, fold tortilla in half and let cook for another minute. Flip and cook for another minute or two until the tortilla is browned.
- Remove from heat and slice into 3 slices. I like to use my pizza cutter for this.
- Top with avocado cream sauce - instructions below
- Finish the bean and mushroom mixture within the week.
For the Avocado Cream Sauce
- ½ avocado
- juice from ½ small or medium lime
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder (or ½ clove fresh garlic)
- Put all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Store in fridge in an airtight container for 3-4 days