Let me tell you that these breakfast burritos have been saving my sanity this week. Dramatic? Maybe. But I have a two month old that has gone from a rockstar sleeper to waking up several times in the night for the past week. WHY?! Let your mom sleep!
I’m still trying to get the hang of this new life. It’s like the moment she was placed on my chest something changed in me and I knew that keeping her safe was the most important thing in my life.
But I wasn’t ready for the complete life change. I mean, I knew life was going to change. It had been slowly changing for the past 9 months – I couldn’t drink socially like I was used to, friendships were different, and my body REALLY changed.
And for some reason I had the idea that once she was here, it would go back to normal. I KNOW THAT’S CRAZY, but I just envisioned us bringing her along to our pre-baby life and that I would be able to go back to my pre-pregnant self.
But that’s not how motherhood works. Your priorities change, you become less selfish, and you’re not quite who you used to be. And it’s not a bad thing. Weird, but good.
I’m sure I’ll start going to parties again and will be able to let loose, but not quite as loose as pre-pregnant Kait 🤪 Making sure this sweet little girl is happy and healthy takes precedence over literally everything else. I just had to have her to realize that 💕
But to these burritos –
After being up most of the night with a newborn, the last thing you want to do is make breakfast but you are also STARVING! I love making these on a Sunday afternoon and then Cody and I have them for the week.
They are so filling and plain enough that anyone would love them as is, orrr you can add toppings to them like I do.
If you want to see a step by step version of these being made, head over to my instagram and watch the story highlights!
Makes 10-12 burritos
- 1 pound classic cut bacon (not thick cut)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 bag frozen potatoes o’brien (I like the Ore-Ida brand)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Tony’s
- 10-12 tortillas (soft taco sized)
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar jack cheese
- In a large sauté pan, cook the pound of bacon and then transfer to a paper towel lined plate. Reserve the bacon grease in a small container (we will use this later)
- In the same sauté pan, add in the vegetable oil and a 1/2 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease. Add in frozen potatoes, salt, pepper, and paprika, and cook according to the bag. I usually cook these covered on med-high for 12-15 minutes flipping once.
- While potatoes are cooking, chop bacon slices into small pieces and add to a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and Tony’s.
- Once potatoes are done cooking, add them to the large mixing bowl with the bacon.
- In the same sauté pan, add in a 1/2 tablespoon of the reserved bacon grease and then add in the whisked eggs.
- Cook on medium-low until eggs are just starting to cook through and then turn off heat and add eggs to the large mixing bowl with the bacon and potatoes. Mix gently.
- Warm tortillas a few at a time in the microwave and then we begin to fill!
- Add about a 2/3 cup of mixture to the tortilla and then sprinkle lightly with cheddar jack cheese.
- Roll the burrito tightly and then roll in aluminum foil to store. Continue until all burritos have been rolled.
- Store in fridge for up to 2 days or freezer in a freezer safe ziplock for a month.
- If frozen – let thaw in refrigerator (I usually transfer mine from freezer to fridge the night before) and then microwave for a minute and a half.
- Enjoy alone or top with green chile and more cheese like me!