These egg rolls y’all.
Everyone has that one meal that they ~*~LOVE~*~ but others think it’s just average.
Mr. Bou’s meal is browned ground beef, instant mashed potatoes, and canned peas. I think it’s meh, he LOVES IT.
Chili’s Southwestern Egg Rolls are mine.
Yes, I’m aware that they are frozen and literally thousands of different restaurants have the exact same ones.
Yes, I’m aware they are deep fried and served with the least healthy ranch dressing that you can imagine. But it’s my favorite and you won’t change my mind.
Now these are obvi much healthier and I even give you an option to bake or lightly fry. Yes, I’m amazing.
Interestingly enough, I prefer these baked. I think the egg wash gives the tortilla a nice crispy finish without having to bathe in oil. But that’s just meeeee
It’s an easy dish to whip up for just you and a pal or make a double batch and have these all week for lunch! (that’s what I do)
For an even healthier substitute, use actual egg roll wrappers! I tried them, but it just wasn’t as satisfying as the tortillas for me!
Try these out, and let me know if you prefer them baked or fried!
Copycat Chili’s Southwestern Egg Rolls
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 bell pepper of choice (I like red bell pepper), diced
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions (about 1/2 bunch)
- 2/3 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained (I usually just grab a handful)
- 2 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded or diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle chili powder (up to 1/2 teaspoon for a little more spice)
- 3/4 cup Cheddar Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup Pepper Jack cheese
- 10-12 soft taco sized flour tortillas (try to get locally made tortillas for extra yum)
- 1 egg + 1 tablespoon water for egg wash (baked rolls only)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- If baking – preheat oven to 400
- In a large skillet or saute pan, add the vegetable oil, bell pepper, and green onions and cook down for 5 minutes over medium-low heat.
- Add in the corn, black beans, and spinach and cook down for another 5 minutes.
- Add in the cooked chicken and all spices (cumin to salt) and stir to incorporate
- Remove from heat and stir in the cheeses
- Add 1/2 cup of mixture to each tortilla and fold like an egg roll/burrito – fold in the sides of the tortilla and then roll.
- From here you can either fry or bake
- To fry – Place rolls on a plate, seam down, and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes. When ready to fry, heat up 1/2 cup vegetable oil in a large sauté pan on medium heat (350 degrees). Lightly fry for 1-2 minutes on each side until egg roll is completely browned and crispy, let rest on a paper towel lined plate before serving.
- To bake – Place rolls, seam side down on a greased baking sheet and then brush with egg wash. Bake for 10 minutes, flip and brush again with egg wash and then bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let egg rolls rest 5 minutes and then slice diagonally and serve with hot sauce or ranch – or both!