Your new favorite taco is here! I can’t get enough of these barbacoa tacos.
I found this recipe from Guac My Life and tweaked it just a little because, let’s be honest, I didn’t have all of the ingredients in my pantry.
I’ve been wanting to try a barbacoa recipe because:
- It’s so easy
- Feeds a lot of hungry people
- Super versatile: tacos, burrito, bowls, etc.
I love the bold flavor of this recipe and the fact that you literally do 15 minutes of work for super tender and falling apart meat. I’ve had this for lunch for the past 2 weeks and I have no regrets.
Eat the barbacoa in a taco or over cilantro lime rice, that’s my go-to combo!
The spicy beef and the mild rice goes PERFECTLY together and the lime really brightens the flavors.
Give it a try and tell me what you think!
Slow Cooker Barbacoa
- 3 pounds beef roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 can chipotle peppers in abodo sauce (7 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 beef cube
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Juice from half of a lime
For the tacos-
- Corn tortillas
- Thin sliced red cabbage
- Heat up a large skillet with vegetable oil
- Cut roast into chunks, about 2-3 inch pieces, and brown in a skillet for 4ish minutes each side. Not fully cooked, but enough to brown.
- Add browned roast to a slow cooker
- Combine the rest of the ingredients in a small blender and blend for 10 seconds until smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the roast.
- Cook in the slow cooker on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours
- Shred, add to a tortilla and add your favorite toppings!