What is a dish that you’ve repeatedly screwed up? Like more than 5 times? For me, it was fried rice. We love fried rice, and every time I would try to make it at home it would be this mushy mess of salt. I almost gave up, then I learned the not-so-secret trick to making delicious take out fried rice – cold rice and butter
Yep, I said it. You need cold rice that has been sitting in your fridge for a few hours/days. So do you know when is the best time to make this recipe? After you’ve finished chowing down on gumbo or chicken stew and you have leftover rice. I always make my rice the night before and just keep it chilled in the fridge until it’s time.
The main perk of this dish is that it is finished in 20 minutes, start to finish. The frozen veggies that I use helps to shorten that time and pre-cooking your rice a day before really makes this process seamless.
You can enjoy this by itself or alongside hibachi steak and veggies. Doesn’t get better than that!
Quick and Easy Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots (Note 1)
- 1/2 yellow onion diced small or 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 clove garlic minced or 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper each
- 5-6 cups cooked and chilled rice
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons oyster sauce
- 3 chopped green onions
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Scramble eggs in a small pan, set aside.
- In a heavy bottomed skillet, add 1 tablespoon butter and add peas, carrots, and onion
- Cook down for 10 minutes or until onions are translucent
- Add in garlic, a light sprinkle of salt and pepper, and cook for another minute
- Add 1 tablespoon butter to pan and once melted add chilled rice and turn fire to high, let cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add in soy sauce and oyster sauce, mix and let cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Turn fire to low and add back in eggs, green onions, sesame oil, and sesame seeds. Mix to incorporate. Remove from heat completely.
- Enjoy with hibachi steak and veggies or miso soup!
Note 1- If I make this fried rice with hibachi steak and veggies, I omit the peas and carrots.
Products I use: