This wouldn't be a blog for beginner cooks if I didn't make the most beginner dinner ever- chicken and rice.
Pros of this meal: it's cheap, quick, and easy
Cons of this meal: you won't want to try others because it's so (see above)
For this meal I used chicken thighs as my chicken of choice, but sometimes I switch it up and use chicken breast. Yeah, I live life on the edge
Both are seasoned the same, but the thighs will throw a lot more grease because it's dark meat (but you knew that already, right?)
I season my chicken by sprinkling salt and pepper lightly and then Tony's a little more heavily. It's probably a 2:1 ratio of Tony's to salt and pepper.
Add them to a hot heavy bottomed skillet with a little olive oil and listen to them sizzle!
Let them sit- don't try to move them around. Try working on your lack of patience!! (Me)
I waited 10 minutes for these, but probably could have waited another 2.
Flip your chicks, lower fire to medium, and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until cooked through.
Remove from the pan to a plate or bowl that will be able to catch juices (aka not a cutting board) and then add in a half onion, diced.
I always add a little bit of chicken stock to help breakup the pan drippings.
Cook down the onions on medium-low until onions are translucent and then add in ½ cup of chicken stock and bring to boil.
Add back in the chicken and then cover completely and cook for 15 min on medium-low heat.
Soooo at the same time that you're cooking your chicken you want to get started on your rice!
You can make just plain steamed rice, but why not make yummy yellow rice?
It's like the one that you can get from the grocery store for $1 but better and with less weird chemicals.
In a medium pot combine chicken stock, uncooked rice (rinsed), olive oil, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and turmeric (the yellow in the yellow rice)
Stir well to incorporate.
Bring to a boil, then turn fire to low and cover completely. Cook for 18 minutes.
When timer is up for chicken, remove from heat and stir gently to coat the chicken with the gravy.
When timer is up for rice, remove from heat and let sit for 5 min. Then stir to fluff your rice!
Serve together with a veggie of your choice!
For the chicken-
- 1 ½ pound chicken thighs
- Salt, pepper, and Tony's to taste
- ½ onion, diced
- ½ cup chicken stock
For the rice-
- 2 ¼ cups chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups uncooked rice (rinsed)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- Season chicken and add to a hot heavy bottomed skillet with a little olive oil.
- Let cook for 7-10 min or until browned, then flip, lower fire to medium, and cook for another 5-7 min or until cooked through
- Remove chicken from pan and add onion. Cook down until translucent
- Add in chicken stock and chicken, bring to boil
- Cover pot completely, turn fire to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes
- Combine all rice ingredients into medium sized pot
- Stir to incorporate and bring to boil
- Turn fire to low, cover completely and cook for 18 minutes
- Let sit for 5 minutes and then fluff rice and serve with chicken!